Hour Twelve: Hit the Road

Summer is roadtrip season, and just like for readathon, audiobooks are the perfect companion. In fact several readathon-ers are participating in this weekend’s ‘thon almost entirely in the car. I love a good roadtrip and whether you’re doing it solo or with one person or a whole carload, the opportunities for some good bookish shenanigans are multitude. Which books will you listen to? Which bookstores or literary sights will you see? How many fights over which Hogwarts house is better will you have?

So for our next challenge, in the comments, tell me either: 1) which three audiobooks you’d recommend for a roadtrip and why, OR 2) if you could take a roadtrip to any three bookish locations, what would they be? And because, books are magic, your destinations don’t obviously have to make sense within the confines of space and time. Want to roadtrip with Jamie to Lallybroch (from Outlander), the city of Sky (from The Inheritance Trilogy), and Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet’s Camp for Hardcore Lady Types (from Lumberjanes)? Go for it.

We’ll be announcing winners for this challenge at Hour 18 in six hours. And now for the winners of the Hour Six Shelfie challenge:

Jennifer S. (@robothugs on Litsy)

Ilse Matus (@matusilse on Twitter)

Kavita R. (@kavitathereader on Instagram)

Jenna Morrison Campbell (@sheridan4369 on Twitter)

Steph Auteri (@stephauteri on Twitter)

Sarah VInka (@sarahbussing on Instagram)

Gemma (@bookworm54 on Litsy)

Casey Rose (@caseyrosereads on Instagram)

Laura Brauman (@lauralovebooks1 on Litsy)

Katie H. (@skateanddonate on Twitter)

Winners, go hit up the prize page now! See you fine readers back here in three hours for more prizes.

295 thoughts on “Hour Twelve: Hit the Road

1. ensconcedya says:

Hmmm tough question. Bookish locations:
    1) Hogwarts (would love to go to the onset location in London)
    2) New Zealand (for LOTR)
    3) Thailand (as of yet not released book)
    Thanks so much! Christina @ Ensconced in Lit @CAhnBooks

2. The three audiobooks that I would recommend for a roadtrip are The Martian by Andy Weir (narrated by R.C. Bray); And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (read by Dan Stevens); and Miniatures: The Very Short Fiction of John Scalzi, by John Scalzi (performed by “a full cast”).

The Martian is a great book made fabulous by the reading talents of R.C.Bray. I listened to this book on a roadtrip from Texas (visiting a friend) to Arizona (home) and it was WONDERFUL. I laughed; I cried. . . And I didn’t crash! 😉

And Then There Were None was a fun audiobook because there were not too many characters (10, give or take one or two, I think) and Dan Stevens voiced ALL of them differently! 🙂

Miniatures: The Very Short Fiction of John Scalzi is less than three hours long (2h,54m) and the cast who performs it is simply divine. I love this audiobook so much, that my next listen will be my 15th! Since April, 1, 2017! (!!!) 😉

These three audiobooks. . .I cannot recommend them highly enough. 🙂

3. zanahoriabaila says:

Oh, So Many. But because it’s been a long held dream of mine, I’ll go all classic and say I’d love, love, love to make a Roadtrip to Rivendel.

4. 3 Road Trip audiobook Recommendations:

1) The Hate U Give by angie Thomas – while deeply meaningful the narration is very conversational and feels like watching a movie. Also highly underrated for its humor, I was smiling through a lot of this book.

2) The Diviners by Libba Bray – Highly addictive mystery/ suspense that is set so beautifully in New York during the 1920’s you feel like you’re there. Hands down the best audiobook narration I’ve ever heard.

3) Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo – full cast narration, high stakes plotting and action, delicious characters. Easy to follow plot line that leave you on the edge of your seat!

5. Holly Barker says:

I recommend The Turner House by Angela Flournoy. It’s a great audiobook and the reader is terrific. Anna Karenina is good on audio and a road trip would give you the chance to get through a lot of it. And I also enjoyed Argo on audio.

6. Danielle says:

My fictional road trip would require a dimension-hopping car and would take me to:

1) Hogwarts (Harry Potter)
    2) The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker’s Guide)
    3) Red London (A Darker Shade of Magic)

No photo from me for this one but my other posts will be on Litsy, @danimgill

7. 1) The first one should be fifty shades of grey. 😌 You and your friends could laugh openly at the sex scenes and dirty talk to get you those road trip vibes 😂 .
    2) Then I recommend a murder mystery to keep you guessing and fighting over who the murderer is and to keep you awake in the night (e.g. ABC-Murders by Agatha Christie)
    3) And then maybe a book about life and finding yourself like ‘it’s kind of a funny story’ by Ned Vizzini, because what else is a road trip for if not for finding yourself 💁🏼

8. Katja Nielsen says:

I would start my literary #roadtrip in Edinburgh, so I could walk all over old town and see where JK Rowling got a lot of her inspiration for Harry Potter. Then I would go to Bath to see where Jane Austen lived part of her life, and lastly I would go to London for a bookshop crawl – Daunt books, Foyle’s, Persephone, London Review Bookshop etc.

Oh, wait. This is what I did last summer, and it was amazing!

9. Stella says:

Okay, so I choose the 2nd option since I’ve never listened to an audiobook before, except a few bedtime stories I heard when I was a kid.

If you could take a road trip to any three bookish locations, what would they be?

1. My first choice is of course Hogwarts. The Harry Potter world is just such an amazing world, and in the middle of that world, we have Hogwarts. Also, who wouldn’t love visiting Hogwarts?

2. My second choice will be Camp Half-blood. I just LOVE the series, and that’s definitely including the camp.

3. My third choice may seem rather odd, while the whole world is quite similar to a part of our history. It’s the main city (sorry, I don’t remember the name of it right now) of the Danish book Krystalhjertet. This city just seems so “hyggelig” (a Danish word which cannot be translated into English).

10. My three bookish road trips would be:

1. Prince Edward Island – to visit all the places Anne Girl visited, the White Way of Delight, Green Gables, The Lake of Shining Waters

2. Hogwarts. Specifically Gryffindor Common Room – Perfect spot to read during the #24in48

3. London – To visit some of my all tim favorite bookstores, Persephone Books, Daunt Books, John Sandoe and Slightly Foxed.

Liked by 1 person

11. My three bookish trips:

1. Italy. Hearing stories from my grandmother and seeing pictures of her growing up. It’s always a place I’ve longed to visit. I recently read Love and Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch, such a cute story and it made me want to visit even more.
    2. London. Specifically the Sherlock Holmes Museum. I mean, how can I not, it’s Sherlock Holmes!
    3. Hogwarts. Enough said. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

12. I would like to take the Phantom Tollbooth road trip — that one sounds awesome! And then I would like to take a road trip to explore the castle in I Capture the Castle, and one through Narnia as long as I could be confident that I wouldn’t mess up anything for the local flora and fauna. :p

Liked by 1 person

13. For me, the narrator makes the book. So I’d pick any of the Harry Potter series (Jim Dale), THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE (Neil Gaiman), and THE GOLDEN COMPASS (Full Cast Audio). But there are so many great selections possible. I’ll just have to take more road trips. 😉

14. Love bbc dramatized versions of Chandler’s novels but if I have to stick to full books on audio (!)
    witches abroad – Pratchett’s witches explore foreign climes, with amusing results.
    The spy who came in from the cold – exciting cold war travels with Le Carré.
    The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy # never leave home without your towel…

On litsy as charl08 (UK)

15. Leah W says:

Audiobook recommendations for a road trip:

1. The Mysterious Howling, by Maryrose Wood – narrated by Katherine Kellgren. It’s hysterical – The kids have maaaybe been raised by wolves, and Kellgren does their voices in a scratchy half-howl that will make the time fly by. Plus, it’s a series – you won’t run out of this story on one trip.

2. The Smell of Other People’s Houses by Bonnie Sue Hitchcock, narrated by several people. This is a little more on the somber side, with tragedy but also sweetness as multiple stories intertwine. Since it clocks in at a little under six hours, this is a good one for that afternoon stretch where you push hard to get to the next stop before late evening.

3. Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger, narrated by Moira Quick. Another fluffier, humorous pick, but road trips are an occasion for fun! The miles will fly by as you listen to Sophronia’s exploits aboard a flying finishing school in the height of steampunk alternate England.

16. Sarah says:

My favorite road trip audiobooks:

1) Wild by Cheryl Strayed. I listened to this on a Route 66 trip last year.

2) The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Listen to this even if there is no roadtrip.

3) Shrill by Lindy West. Powerful and listenable while on a trip.

17. Kate says:

Road trip to fictional locations? Yes please!

1. Middle Earth. Anywhere but Mordor, really.
    2. Ravka (The Grisha Trilogy). Post-war, thanks!
    3. Velaris (ACOTAR Trilogy).

18. Erin says:

My audiobook reccomendations would be the books from the Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater, read by Will Patton. I thoroughly enjoyed the books when I read them but Will Patton brings them to life with his reading. He has a different “voice” for each character and there are no small number of them.

19. Ideal destinations would England during Tudor reign, Paris during the 20s so I party with the Fitzgeralds (Zelda in particular) and lastly it’s a tie between Hogwarts and doing the same hike as Cheryl Strayed in Wild. 🤓

20. msjennamorrison says:

I’m a big fan of all things Neil Gaiman, including his works as audiobooks. My fave is Neverwhere, followed closely by American Gods and The Ocean at the End of the Drive.

Liked by 1 person

21. jangoodell says:

Road trip! 1) an intergalactic journey with Ender (aka Andrew Wiggens). Bonus: this can be long cuz little aging at these speeds. 2) a trip to the northlands of P. Pullman’s Golden Compass series, by ship or balloon. Holding auditions for my daemon now. 3) a long relaxing ride on The Orient Express, minus the murder (or not).

22. I commute about 3 hours a day so I listen to audiobooks a lot. I have 2 sets of go tos. 1. And 3 or more of the Harry Potter books. The narrator is exquisite. 2. The All souls trilogy by Deborah Harkness. So engrossing you won’t want to get out of your car!

23. My top 3 are:
    1. Born a Crime because Trevor Noah is amazing.
    2. The Graveyard Book or The Icean at the End of the Lane or really anything read by Gaiman.
    3. American Gods 10th Anniversary–Full Cast Production. The cast & the writing make this one awesome & it’s perfect for a road trip. (And Neil wrote it!) 💜💜💜

24. The 3 bookish destinations I’d pick, in no particular order:
    1. The Spotty Dog. It’s a bookstore and a brewery. Do I need to say more?
    2. Emily Taber Public Library in little, old Baker County, Fl. It’s the library I went to as a child. Built in 1908, it once served as the town’s courthouse. The musty sweetness of books mingled with the scent of coffee is forever stuck in my brain. I lived there during the summer, even memorizing which steps creaked, leading up to the second story. I can’t wait to bring my son there soon.
    3. Hobbiton. The real one, not movie set.

25. 3 road trip audiobooks would be the BBC version of Lord of the Rings. It’s a full cast and would keep me entertained for the full drive. It’s one I grew up on and still love.

26. Lauren says:

I would plan trips to the dimensions of A Wrinkle in Time, take my chances in The Mists of Avalon, and I’d be lying if I didn’t admit that I’d want to play tourist at Hogwarts too.

27. Isabelle says:

I really want to go to New York to visit all the places in the Mortal Instruments series. I’ve seen some people do a trip all around the city and it looks amazing!
    If I could actually travel into the book’s world though I would love to see Paris in the 30s like in The Invention of Hugo Carbret or I would like to visit the Secret Garden from the novel of the same name.

28. Sarah vanOphuijsen says:

I like to have a variety so I would suggest:
    – The Clancey’s of Queens for the humor of this coming of age story and the amazing narration by the author. At first her accent is jarring but it quickly becomes essential to the story.
    – Lesser Bohemians which is a poignant and very real story of a young woman’s first big love, read by the author. It’s an experimental prose book that you really experience well in audio form since it is so lyrical. And her accent is divine! Some intense and realistic sexual content so not for meek ears.
    – And also not for meek ears, North Water! This is a rowdy, ballsy, boisterous historical ship adventure gone horrifically wrong as a psychopath is on board! Really salty language but it will hold your attention tightly!

29. My literary road trip would include:

1. Hogwarts, to hang out with my favorite wizards, of course.
    2. Paris in the time of Anna and the French Kiss, to befriend Anna, Etienne, Isla, Josh, and the like.
    3. Lakeview and Colby, NC, from Sarah Dessen’s novels.

30. As far as road trips go, the South is the most fertile literary territory in the US. Faulkner’s MS, the NOLA of Williams & Rice, Lee & Capotes AL, gothic GA of Flannery O’Conner & Mitchell’s Gone with the Wind.

31. Jennifer Bath says:

The three audiobooks I would recommend are:

1) the Harry Potter series. Besides being awesome books the man who reads them (I can’t remember his name) does a phenomenal job capturing the essence of the entire series.

2) It by Stephen King. Stephen Weber reads this one and he blew me away.

3) Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil I read and listened to the book and enjoyed the audio version better. It’s an amazing story and I was blown away to find ou it was based on true events. Don’t bother with the movie if you haven’t seen it. I didn’t make it past the first 30 minutes.

32. Kayla Reynolds says:

My road trip destinations:
    1. England for all things related to Jane Austen

2. Anywhere with James Rollins (they’re always on an adventure around the world in his books)

3. Hogsmeade from Harry Potter because… well it’s magical 🙂

• 1) it’s hilarious and heartwarming. A must for any Princess Bride fan
      2) Mary Roach is so interesting. Full of amazing facts and funny footnotes
      3) he’s so clever and it shows in his book. Also typical Eddie humor.