Right now, it is 12:01am ET and I am, as always, asleep when this shindig starts. Because this is – after all – the readathon for people who like to sleep. Some of you are starting now. Some of you have already been reading for hours. And some of you are sleeping just like me.
Welcome to all the readers – old and new! And a BUNCH of you are brand new to the readathon. I’m so thrilled to have you and I hope you have a fantastically bookish weekend. If you’re just now discovering the ‘thon or have been unsure of your weekend plans, you can still sign up and do so throughout the weekend.
A few reminders:
- If you think you might really read 24 hours (and really, there’s no pressure at all to do so), make sure you track your hours. I use the stopwatch function on the clock app on my phone, and hit start and stop as I pause for other things. It might actually matter this round of readathon if you finish a full 24 hours!
- Even though the “rules” say that the goal is to read for 24 out of 48 hours, it’s just a number to shoot for. The real goal of this weekend is to set aside some serious quality time to do nothing but read with a bunch of other people doing the exact same thing. Your time reading still counts even if you don’t hit 24 hours.’
- Take a break, get some sleep, eat well. This is a marathon, not a sprint. And it’s supposed to be low pressure. Don’t kill yourself.
- That being said, try to start with a rough schedule so that you don’t overextend yourself on Sunday night, if you are shooting for that 24 hour mark. Give yourself more time to read on Saturday than you think you’re going to need, because you undoubtedly won’t have as much as you think.
Follow the conversation (which honestly is my favorite part of the ‘thon) on social media. I’ll be posting from @24in48readathon on Twitter, and @24in48 on Instagram and Litsy. You can – and should – use the official hashtag #24in48 everywhere as well. I’ll be posting updates here as well, with a few guest stars, to help me out. Lastly, if you have an iOS device, make sure you download the Litsy app and follow @Litsy for fun giveaways and challenges. They’re bringing the thunder all weekend, and I’m thrilled to welcome them as a readathon partner.
Let’s start off with an intro survey so we can all get to know each other. Post in a comment below or tag the readathon on Twitter, Insta or Litsy with your answers (if you just hashtag, I won’t necessarily see it):
- Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
- Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?
- Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
- What book are you most excited about reading this weekend?
- Tell us something about yourself.
- Remind us where to find you online this weekend.
I’ll choose one random winner who completes the survey at the end of the readathon who will receive a $10 gift card from Amazon, Barnes & Noble or any other book retailer of your choice, or Starbucks.
(Don’t forget to go check out Litsy right this instant too! They’re also running a giveaway with Graywolf Press.)
Okay. I think those are all the important details. Happy reading, ‘thoners. Have a flippin’ fantastic weekend!