Hour Twelve: Smash the Patriarchy

Thousands and thousand of women are marching in Washington, DC and across the country in local marches to protest our new administration. Women from all over are banding together to promote intersectional feminist ideals and demonstrate that together, we are stronger, and we’ve got no time for their ish. I wish I could be out there marching with all the badass ladies, but instead, I’ll be celebrating my favorite activists and feminists with some patriarchy-smashing reads. Your Hour Twelve challenge is this: in the comments, tell me either who you’d like to be marching with today or what feminist books you’re reading in solidarity?

I personally would love to stand arm-in-arm with Gloria Steinem, Angela Davis, Michelle Obama, and Beyonce (anyone that stands in front of a giant “Feminist” sign is an activist in my book). And I’ve got We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Here We Are by Kelly Jensen (you can win this one!), the Mockingbird: Vol. 1 comic by Chelsea Cain, and Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay on my feminist TBR stack.

I’ll pick a winner at Hour 18. And don’t forget you can still enter the Hour Zero: Intro Survey challenge until midnight ET tonight!

For now, how about a winner for our Shelfie challenge from Hour Six?

Emily DeCato

Excellent shelfie work, everyone. Not a bad looking reader among you.

And of course, we’re drawing four more door prize winners:

Rebekah (on Litsy @BekahB)

Carmen (on Litsy @Books.Bottles.and.Babies)

Jessi Newell

Gaby Oliva

See you back here in three hours! Happy reading (and marching)!

115 thoughts on “Hour Twelve: Smash the Patriarchy

1. I’m currently reading The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler. As for marching, I’d love to be with my best friend Dana. She and I talked about voting for Clinton in our 2006 senior video. We both voted and mourned over the election result, and I know a march would have slightly lifted our spirits and put us in a good place with so many like-minded individuals. She’s about 10 hours away now and our schedules didn’t pull together for the march, but we’ve spoken about it and other related matters all week. I’m so lucky to have a 20-year friendship with her.

Liked by 1 person

2. I think Michelle Obama is the person everyone wants and should want to march with and I’m going to answer the same. My friend is also marching so I’d like to be there with her.
    This might sound horrible but I have a very bad collection of diverse books. It’s not that I don’t like them or would like to read them, but I feel like it’s so hard to find a good diverse book that makes an impact on you. Therefore, I’m not reading any particular book like that, but I would LOVE some recommendations.

3. I would love to be marching with all the women out there today. But since I’m not physically there, I will be there in spirit and will be reading We Should All Be Feminists as well as listening to Bad Feminist and Notorious RBG on audiobook

4. My sisters, my husband, my nieces and nephews. ESPECIALLY my nieces and nephews. I want them to grow up knowing that they can be and do whatever they want and they are worthy.

I’m currently in the middle of Roxane Gay’s Difficult Women, which is such a poignant (and relevant!) collection of short stories about all kinds of women. I’m loving it so far.

Liked by 1 person

5. I didn’t plan well for this, but I am reading a couple of fiction books with strong female characters! A Study in Scarlet Women and The Wicked Will Rise are the two I’m starting with!

6. I’m reading The Fate of the Tearling by Erika Johansen, which has a great strong female main character–who fights for the oppressed and the good of her kingdom against those determined to maintain the status quo and line their pockets in the process. I also have Unspeakable Things by Laurie Penny in my pile, along with Half the Sky, but I’m not sure I’ll get that far! Will have to see how fast I read. 🙂

7. Jenni says:

I’m following the march in social media and the news. I would march with any of the strong women who have worked tirelessly to promote equal rights for all. I haven’t missed a book yet from Emma Watson’s Our Shared Shelf feminist book group, so I will be working a The Vagina Monologues this month. Also on my feminist TBR shelf: Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay and The Troubke with Women by Jacky Fleming. 👍

8. i just bought “We Should All Be Feminists” and am about to start. Of course, everyone loves Michelle Obama, but I would also want to be alongside Hillary Clinton. She has done a lot for women in all her years of public service.

9. Jenni says:

I’m following the march on social media and the news. I would march with any of the strong women who have worked tirelessly to promote equal rights for all. I haven’t missed a book yet from Emma Watson’s Our Shared Shelf feminist book group, so I will be working on The Vagina Monologues this month. Also on my feminist TBR shelf: Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay and The Trouble with Women by Jacky Fleming. 👍

10. I’d love to be protesting with a moving writer like Adichie or powerful gender theorists like Butler and hooks. Honestly, there are so many women who I would love to stand side by side with.

I just purchased another novel of Adichie’s and will probably start reading it tomorrow as part of Diverseathon. I loved her novel Purple Hibiscus and am excited to dig into Americanah.

11. I made 2 stacks of books for this weekend, one of female authors, and one of everything else (since I included a lot of short story collections this weekend, some of the ‘everything else’ column includes female authors too in multi-author books.). I’ve included mysteries, historical fiction, world literature, thrillers, sci-fi, fantasy, a memoir, and a biographical novel in my stack of books by women. I think it is important to read and appreciate women’s books in all genres and subjects. I review all books as gender and color blind as I can, but for too long only a few female authors were ever mentioned in anthologies and most ‘classics’ in any genre were by men, so I make a point of including a lot of women’s books in my reading stacks.

• I agree. I teach World Literature and American Literature; the standard collections are dominated by male writers, and I make a concerted effort to include as many female authors and other marginalized voices as possible.

Liked by 1 person

12. Leah says:

I would have loved to march with my Mom but she’s no longer with us … but she’s always marching with me in spirit. Today I’ll be remembering all the women who paved our way. Yeah!! 💪🏻💪🏽💪🏾💪🏿

13. I have the January/February Our Shared Shelf pick, The Vagina Monologues, in my queue. I am also planning on reading all three volumes of March (not the patriarchy exactly, but picks about another historic march)!

14. Hoopiefoot says:

Just started reading Sex Object by Jessica Valenti. I’d love to march with my mom, sister, niece, and grandmother in my hometown of Pittsburgh. But my pipe dreams marching companion would be Mary Oliver.

15. I would love to march with Michelle Obama. She’s an amazing woman.

I took a quick trip to my very small rural library, specifically looking for diverse books and had a rough time of it. They didn’t even have a single Roxanne Gay book. I did grab Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou, as well as a book of poetry by Alice Walker.

16. Suzze Myers Tiernan says:

My nieces went to march in Washington. I am there in spirit. Just read that there are so many people there, they can’t actually march! 💜

17. Jenni King says:

I would love to stand next to Karla Jay who wrote the book Tales of the Lavender Menace (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/534736.Tales_of_the_Lavender_Menace). She was such a force in her day. I had the honor of being able to talk books with her when I was in a college course called Queer Politics. And she was an amazing lady. She eventually went legally blind and couldn’t read her huge collection of books and donated them all to my Women’s University, Hollins. It was such a bittersweet thing. I hate that she couldn’t enjoy them, but was so thrilled that she trusted us with her babies.

18. Sarah Holmes says:

I would march with Susan B. Anthony and Rosa Parks who were strong women and stood up to everyone. I have The Handmaid’s Take by Margaret Atwood.

19. I think it would be beyond amazing to march with Michelle Obama. I have several friends marching today that I’m thinking of while I read Bad Feminist by Roxanne Gay. I’m loving it more than I expected to so far!

20. I really wanted to go march today in Honolulu but I am having some major asthma issues this week and nothing brings down a good march like someone passing out or losing a lung in the first few minutes. 😉 So I will be marching in spirit with my friend Lisa and many others. I have both Bad Feminist Essays by Roxane Gay and Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly on my Kindle and hope to start one of them during the #24in48 readathon.

21. dreamwritersdreaming says:

I’m not matching today (though I have friends and family who are matching in the Boston chapter of the Women’s March as well as the national one).

I’m also not exactly reading anything explicitly feminist. Currently I’m reading Danielle Legros Georges’s poetry book, “The Dear Remote Nearness of You” since she was one of the many diverse authors and speakers who read and spoke at the Greater Boston Writers Resist protest event last weekend. 🙂

22. Tessa Moon Leiseth says:

I just finished We Should All Be Feminists. And surprisingly, When Books Went to War (still listening on audio) is much more related than I would have expected.

23. Meg L says:

I’d love to be marching with Lindy West and Roxane Gay!! I love Bad Feminist. I’ve read it 4 times. Bahni Turpin does such a good job on the audio. I hope you love it! As far as feminist reading, I don’t have any specific books, but I am going to read Lumberjanes Vol. 2, which has such positive themes for girls.

24. Nephele says:

At the moment, I’m reading Carrie Fisher’s THE PRINCESS DIARIST, which isn’t quite a feminist work itself, but given how badass Fisher herself always was, it feels appropriate.

25. dictura says:

I’d love to marching today with friends in downtown Toronto. There aren’t any explicitly feminist reads in my TBR for this weekend since I review mostly YA, but I will probably read mostly women this weekend and for sure some books about LGTBQIA+ young women, including Girl Mans Up, The Miseducation of Cameron Post, and As I Descended. 🙂

26. Wish I was matching today! Here’s my post from Litsy on this prompt:

Yamich49’s post on Litsy

Some of the #feministreads on my TBR for #24in48. Although I do like reading feminist theory (obv. bc I was a Feminist Studies major in undergrad 😉), I am now much more into indiv women’s stories – both fiction & nonfiction. If I could march today with anyone, it would be with the fantastic women/feminists in my family esp. some of those who are no longer with us and those who don’t have the physical strength to march (like my beloved grandma!).

27. I would love to be able to march with Roxane Gay who is an amazing feminist and woman. I have lots of feminist books on my TBR but am looking forward to The geek Feminist Revolution by Kameron Hurley.

28. 365dayssurvive says:

There are so many protests going on around me right now, but some of them have gotten out of hand and I honestly wouldn’t feel safe taking my seven year old to one, which is who I’d like to take to one!
    Right now I’ve got You Can’t Touch My Hair, We Should All Be Feminists, and Bad Feminist on my TBR and on hold at the library!

• unidragonfrag says:

This is actually my comment! I haven’t logged into WordPress in forever and forgot my username isn’t consistent with the stuff I put when signing up for this! :/

29. I don’t do well in crowds, but my heart and warmest vibes are with everyone out marching today. I’ve got the Millennium Series on audiobook (and in print, just in case I want a change of pace), and a couple of Carrie Fisher’s books that I may dig into this weekend.

30. I wish I could march with Issa Rae and thank her for representation for awkward back girls everywhere. Right now I’m reading “whatever happened to interracial love” which is feminist for allowing woman to be whoever they are and accepting that.

31. Lauren says:

I would love to be marching with all the ladies out there, but if I had to pick any specifics, Lindy West comes to mind since her book “Shrill” is in my TBR. I read “Push” by Sapphire for the readathon.

32. Donna Abate says:

Oh, there are so many people I would march with…my 87 year old Mom who still reminds me to always be proud of the woman I am, my sister who inspires me by example that integrity is everything. If my beloved Dad were still here, he’d be in the front of the line. He always taught us to stand up for what we believe in no matter what. And if I had to pick some of my sheroes, some here and some no longer with us..they would be: Eleanor Roosevelt, Jackie O, Rosa Parks, Betty Friedan, Bette Midler, Stephanie Powers. And I’d bet that Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds are staging their own march in heaven.

Liked by 1 person

33. Carolyn says:

I met strangers today and marched with them, and I couldn’t ask for any more than that. The power of ordinary citizens should never be underestimated. I love that you brought up the marches and this topic, by the way! You rock. ❤

Liked by 1 person

34. Cait M says:

I would love to be marching with Gloria Steinem today; or one of many female celebrities marching like Lena Dunham, Chelsea Handler or Katy Perry; or lastly the teenage girl I overheard at the movies this week talking about marching with her mom – it was exciting to hear of someone so young in my conservative hometown being so active. I support all the women marching around the country and the world today.

Liked by 1 person