Hour Fifteen: Change It Up

Are you a readathon pre-planner? Do you set aside a stack of books and plan out your weekend ‘thon schedule, down to the meals and snacks you’re planning on eating? Or do you fly by the seat of your pants? No matter what kind of readathon-er you are, sometimes things just aren’t working. Your favorite reading chair is suddenly uncomfortable. Or you keep picking up books that aren’t grabbing you. Or you’re distracted by social media or your family or your cat who has suddenly become very needy.

Whatever kind of ‘thon you’ve planned, inevitably you’ll hit a point where the gears stop moving. And when that happens, don’t be afraid to shake things up. Switch locations, switch books, switch formats (seriously, trying an ebook or an audiobook when you’ve been doing only print can work wonders). Even if you have to get out of your house for a quick walk around the block to reset yourself, do it. Or if you’re lucky enough to have a hammock (and good weather), take a book out and spend an hour in nature.

How do you change it up when your readathon mojo is broken? Do you have an alternate plan when you’re feeling off?

Do readathon prizes help? Oh good, cause I’ve got some more!

Callahan Davenport (@thirdculturekid15 on Instagram)

Andrea Eastman (@leprechaun416 on Instagram)

Emily Blaeser (@emilydblaeser on Twitter)

Alyssa (@apchaney on Twitter)

Laura Mezirka (lauramezirka.blog)

Danielle Murray (@tsukasa1025 on Instagram)

Catherine Gousetis (@c.gousetis on Instagram)

Zoeya (@zoebookobsessed on Twitter)

Don’t forget to enter the Hour 12 Roadtrip challenge and you’ve got until Hour 24 to complete the Intro Survey too! You’ve got another three hours.

Advertisements

104 thoughts on “Hour Fifteen: Change It Up

1. I’m pretty focussed during readathons, and typically have a pile of books in different genres to keep me going. For this one, I”m away from home and don’t have my personal library to choose from. I’m reading from my Kobo and managed to check out a bunch of books this past week so I should be good to continue.

2. Rebecca Haling says:

I think audiobooks can help! I have plans to go for a walk and maybe do some coloring later while listening if my eyes get too tired.

3. I tend to need to move more than most I suspect so I have four favorite reading places and I do chores in between…. a load of laundry, some dishes, maybe run a vacuum… I also narrow my stack to about 3 to 5 reads so I am not overwhelmed and often they are reads that were either in progress or something I am on a time crunch to finish for a project or something. If all else fails I will drag out an old favorite to reread. Going outside to read is a great option in the cooler parts of the day for me but midday is bad here… too hot. LOL

4. Delmy says:

No preplans perse I just read on until I’m done, I can’t leave a book unfinished. I can’t, it’s like I feel like I need to finish even if it’s bad. As for momentum or whatever, I stop every half hour. Just for 5-10 minutes, unless I’m really in the middle of a juicy part then I keep going until I need a break. So far I haven’t read much idk if I’ll make it to 24! :/

5. Lynn says:

Changing the environment or changing the genre; doing a quick, easy read to feel accomplished; or taking a short nap πŸ™‚

6. Sarah says:

This is my first time joining in so I don’t have any sure fire techniques to keep me going but I am liking the idea of changing up genres to mix it up a bit

7. brennahawleycraig says:

Just like my normal reading, I read multiple books at once so that when I get stuck on one, I can move to another.

8. lonbeehold says:

I’m definitely a fly by the seat of my pants Readathoner…which may be why I’ve yet to make it to the full 24 hours πŸ€” I do find that changing fomat and location do help me get through lulls. Snacks help, too. Here’s my hour six snack : http://litsy.com/p/MG5mcENBb2hQ

9. It’s my first time taking part in such intense readathon where I read for so many hours at a time and it’s really challenging for me, but I can tell that switching up really helps πŸ™‚ I first finished an e-book, than read a printed book and now I’m reading another e-book. I think that an e-reader is really useful especially when my eyes are tired, because I can enlarge the font.
    I also decided to switch between genres as I pick which books to read, so I won’t get bored with reading the same genre all the time. I think these changes help to stay focused and engaged in the reading process, while reading so much.

10. Leah crow says:

I always have a few blooks going at once and usually an audiobook as well. Between all that and caring for the kiddos things stay pretty exciting! Lol

11. annaferri says:

I am flying entirely by the seat of my pants here!
    Right now the biggest thing I am fighting is that I am very tired from a couple busy weeks capped by a couple exhausting days. All I want are naps! So my shaking it up involves not getting overly comfy laying out on the couch and drinking a little extra coffee/tea.
    I am going with the “whatever catches my fancy” method of book selection and expect I will start a few more than I finish. No one’s counting, not even me!

12. I have a book or two of over 400 pages in mind, but I always keep PJO close at hand for the tough hours, when the motivation for reading runs low. Today, I also went to the beach for some relaxation, something totally unplanned and a spurt of the moment kind of move. Helped a lot.

Also, this post, where I’m announced as one of the winners helped a lot to encourage me. 13 hours to go for me!

Btw, do we know when we’re getting notified about the prizes? I’ve filled out the form as soon as I saw the post

13. This is my first readathon and I have been outside mostly of the day as we’ve had a lovely sunny day.
    But I’ve been taking small breaks through the day and switch from real book and audiobook.

@jia_thomsen

14. Im pretty focused when I find an intriguing book (such as the one im currently reading) but its distracting when I have a bunch of tasks I need to complete throughout the day!! I just want to read!

15. I’m pretty much stuck on the couch (since my husband isn’t feeling well, he gets the bed). If the weather was nicer, I’d be outside sitting in my rocking chair on the porch and drinking tea while reading. As it is, I just make sure to switch up formats every now and then. Going from electronic to audio to print is enough of a switch for me.

16. I’m usually a planner but for this weekend I’ve been pretty spontaneous only knowing which book I was going to start with and knowing that at some point I’m probably gonna make spaghetti and meatballs. I feel the urge to shake things up, I started off the day reading strong but starting to feel sluggish.

17. Jules says:

I’m a sorta-kinda planner who fails to think it all the way through. 😏 I also plan my reading selections, and I’ll typically pick up a few chosen snacks, but then I find myself ready for a meal and realize I forgot to prep for actual FOOD food! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ So I have to wing it anyway.

When I need to rejuvenate, I’m usually too lazy and too anxious to get back to my story that I just jump around a little and try to shake the cobwebs out of my head and the zzzzz’s out of my eyes. Then I pour a ginormous cup of Coca-Cola and dive back into the pages. Thankfully, I’m a night owl, so the darkness hours give me time to focus and catch up!

18. Jeni says:

I’ve been switching back and forth between audio and paper or ebook as well as non-fiction and fiction. Of course I haven’t finished anything yet. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I also went to the Y for my strength trainer workout and listened to an audio book the whole time (which is what I usually do.) My workout is much more enjoyable if I get to listen to a good story!

19. Melissa Woodward says:

I seems to have readers attention troubles (lol) so I like to read ebooks on my phone while walking at the park. And I have 4-5 books/ebooks on the go at any time so I can jump around between genres and locations.

20. shanayatales says:

I am extremely Type A when it comes to most things in my life. But I make an exception for readathons, and I am a total pantser when it comes to them, as that’s the way they are the most fun for me.

21. iceangel9 says:

I plan out a selection of both books and audiobooks and I swap back and forth. If I need to get out of the chair or run errands or do laundry or just move around I have an audiobook ready. Otherwise I have a comfortable chair for real books. This process seems to work well for me. I also turn off the cell phone and computer and only check email and social media during designated break periods.

22. Alisha Loiacano says:

Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    Somerset, Ky
    Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?
    No I have not.
    Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
    In the comments of one of my book groups on facebook.
    What book are you most excited about reading this weekend?
    Inkdeath. I have mixed feelings but it’s the final chapter in an amazing trilogy.
    Tell us something about yourself.
    I have a 3 month old son.
    Remind us where to find you online this weekend.
    @littletazalisha on twitter

23. I definitely have to change up location and sometimes I have to switch to audiobooks, possibly switch up the book I am reading, but generally snacks and a new location.

24. I’m totally one of those who switch up the type of books I read, and if the stack of half-read books is any indication, I also switch up which books I read too. Print, audiobook, ebooks, fiction, nonfiction, all of it. If I want to listen to music, I switch to reading – print/ebooks – and if my hands are starting to get fidgety, I switch to audiobooks so I can do something fussy with my hands at the same time.

25. Allison says:

I usually read a lot until I burn myself out and get into a reading slump. Super annoying, but I can’t break the habit!

26. I take breaks and move-stretch, walk, etc. Audiobooks are huge–I use them for audio cooking & walking. I also have a wide assortment of genres in my preselected books because I’m a moody reader. I also try to balance ‘need to read’ books that I want to knock out for reviews and book club with books I really want to read & move up my TBR.

27. Adele - On Litsy as @AdeleReads says:

Change spots in the house or go to the porch. Take a walk. Switch formats between print/kindle/audiobook. Try out a shorter work, like an essay, short story, or poem. Grab a snack. So far these steps have all helped when I’m feeling restless or stuck. I might try a graphic novel next time I’m losing my reading mojo. We’ll see!

28. I changed books a lot. I have 3 books and an audio book available. Nothing about this readathon was planned so I just grabbed all the books I was already reading and got Handmaid’s Tale ready for listening to.

29. Caitlin says:

Usually I switch it up by changing where I’m sitting. Today however I switched it up by putting on an audiobook for a couple of hours while my daughter and I put together a muskoka chair that we had stained earlier in the week.

30. bandgoddess says:

I’m definitely planning to change locations multiple times. I have 4 different designated reading areas within my own house, plus out on the back deck of the temperature ever drops below 90 degrees (!), plus the public library is less than a mile away, and the academic library I work at is also fairly close by. Plus, I love taking mini breaks and checking Litsy/Instagram/Goodreads for updates on everyone else’s 24in48 readathon!