Hour 48: The End!

WE DID IT! We made it the full 48 hours! I’m so thrilled for every last one of you. More than 1,300 readers participated this weekend and I hope you all had a great time.

Before we can wrap this thing up and put it (and ourselves) to bed, we’ve got a few last things to take care of. Namely, winners of the Hour 42 Literary Dinner Party challenge:

Heike (@inwhichHeikereadsharder on Litsy)

Katy Alice (@thegirlinthegarret on Instagram)

Ashley McMillan (@swishandflick on Litsy)

Jocelyn Bailey (@thebookhooker on Instagram)

Kathy W. (@MsWebberUC on Twitter)

Alisha Soto (@endlessreader on Twitter)

Kaitlyn Dawn (@121books on Twitter)

Jessica (@JPeterson on Litsy)

Frank McGeough (@fmcgeough on Twitter)

Lynn Andryshak (@lmandryshak on Instagram)

If you can, I’d love to know how this readathon went for all of you, anything you’d change, your favorite books, etc. So leave a comment with answers to this closing survey:

2. How many hours did you read?
  3. What do you think worked well in this readathon?
  4. What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
  5. Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon?

And thanks to our friends at Book Riot, all readathon participants will be getting an email with a 25% discount code for their store. So keep your eyes peeled for that. Thank you to the whole BR gang for going above and beyond for this ‘thon.

Since I know you’re all dying to mark your calendars, the next 24in48 readathon will be on….

January 27-28, 2018!!

Lastly, if you finished a full 24 hours of reading, you’re eligible to win one of four amazing prize packs. Fill out this form, including your proof of hours read, before midnight ET on Tuesday, July 25th.

Thanks once again for joining me and my fellow co-hosts Kristen and Kerry. It’s been a great time.

139 thoughts on “Hour 48: The End!

1. How many books did you read?
    I have read 2 and 1/2 books, but I didn’t count the pages.
    How many hours did you read?
    16 hours! I’m following the official watch of the readathon, so it ended up at 11.00 AM on Monday where I live, and I didn’t get to read as much as I wanted to, but 16 hours is still great for me!
    What do you think worked well in this readathon?
    I love the update for every 3 hours, with the challenges and the surveys
    What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
    You guys have done an amazing job! Thank you thank you! I wish there will be more International Prizes though, I won one, quite early in Hour 18, but I only noticed it late so I ran out. >.< But I'm still sooo happy that I joined in!
    Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon?
    YES! DEFINITELY!

2. Thank you all so much for hosting another super-fun #24in48 Readathon for us! 😍❤

I posted my Final Stats and the Final Survey to my Instagram (and shared it to my Twitter and Tumblr):

3. 1.) I ended up reading 7 books and listening to 2 audiobooks. I also read 154 pages worth of my 8th book. I read 2,003 pages of the actual books and listened to 7 hours and 48 minutes worth of audiobooks.

2.) I read for a little over 24 hours!

3.) I loved that the challenges were every 3 hours as opposed to every hour. This gave me ample time to read and to participate in most of the challenges. I also loved that this readathon gives you the option of sleep!

4.) Maybe start a goodreads group to foster discussion both before and during the readathon.

5.) I will definitely participate again! Not sure if I’ll be able to in January (I’ll be in the midst of getting my masters in social work during that time), but I think I’ll be able to pop in next July.

4. Valerie says:

1. 5 full books, 1/2 of another, 1/4 of another, about 1200 pages!
    2. 24 hours, 3 minutes
    3. Everything! It was my first time, and I felt so welcome on social media, I loved the 3 hour challenges, I loved the prizes every few hours for encouragement, I had so much fun!
    4. More prizes? But really, great job yall!
    5. YES!

5. Sarah vanOphuijsen says:

– I ended up reading 12 books – 2348 pages
    – I read for 28 hours to finish my last book
    – I loved having the set check in schedule! It kept me focused but also gave me breaks that worked well
    – keep doing what you are doing!!
    – I will certainly do the next one! It was great! Thank you!

6. Congratulations everyone!

I managed 18 hours (only 2 and a half books though – those suckers were long!)

I loved the three hourly blog posts and responding social media.

I will absolutely be in for the next one.

Thank you Rachel et al for all your hard work!

7. 1. 5 books and 2101 pages
    2. Just one minute over 24 hours
    3. The three-hour tier for challenges and check-ins was wonderful. It also came as a welcome break.
    4. Keep organising it 🙂
    5. Definitely!

8. 1. 4 books for 1147 pages
    2. 23 hours and 57 minutes before the end of the time
    3. I really liked the engagement from the community
    4. Maybe setting notifications at each time point with check ins and challenges? I missed most of them because I was absorbed reading. That would probably be on the part of the reader though
    5. Yes! I have been converted after this, my first one 🙂

9. How many books did you read? Pages? (If you didn’t keep track, tell me that too!)
    I read two paperbacks (287 and 209 pgs) and listened to one audio book (14 hrs)
    How many hours did you read? 24.5 logged on my iPhone stopwatch. Then I finished listening to Pride and Prejudice since I was at 95% and couldn’t sleep anyway.
    What do you think worked well in this readathon? Loved the 3 hour post breaks and mini-challenges.
    What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
    Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon? For sure.

10. How many books did you read?4 finished, 2 in progress Pages? Didn’t keep track since I joined last minute I didn’t have my self setup well
    How many hours did you read? Over 25 hours!
    What do you think worked well in this readathon? The updates and challenges every 3 hours. Not too often but just enough.
    What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time? More chatting/cheering. Maybe a twitter party a day or two ahead to talk books, snacks, attack plan, etc
    Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon? If I can and have the time, sure. It was fun!

11. How many books did you read? Pages? (If you didn’t keep track, tell me that too!) Not sure about exact page #, but I finished 3 books and was working on a 4th.
    How many hours did you read? I read for +24 hours! Close to 25.
    What do you think worked well in this readathon? Using the hashtag on social media, especially Twitter.
    What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time? Instagram could be more active.
    Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon? Absolutely!

• natashajk says:

I’m just commenting that as someone participating on Instagram that while the pre-readathon posts were slow to come, once it started over a thousand posts were posted over the weekend. It felt VERY ACTIVE during the readathon.

12. livin2themax says:

1. I finished a book I’d already started, made progress on a different one already started, and read an entire book. I forgot to mark down page numbers I started from during actual readathon in the books I was already reading, so no accurate page count.
    2. 18 hours, 15 minutes – lots of distractions
    3. It was fun to have a place to follow along with other readers…
    4. …but also distracting, every time I took a break to check in on social media I ended up distracted by other social media posts and my ‘quick break’ wasn’t so quick.
    5. Absolutely!

13. How many books did you read? Pages? (If you didn’t keep track, tell me that too!)
    I finished 2 and started 3 others that I’ll have to finish later. I didn’t track pages but based on the behemoths that I finished, I know it was over 1000.

How many hours did you read?
    19 hrs 2min

What do you think worked well in this readathon?
    What fun! This is the first readathon I’ve done and I enjoyed it. I fell off doing online things Sunday so I could snatch a little more uninterrupted reading time from a busy day. But on Saturday I really enjoyed responding to the posts.

What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
    Even tracking what Eastern Time was in comparison to me, I kept loosing track of what hour I was in relevant to the main 24 in 48 readathon time…Especially late at night when I was tired an had been reading four 6 hrs straight, I kept doing calculations wrong. Mostly all I wanted was that somewhere in the every 3 hr posts it would say “Respond to the ____challenge by Hour 18 (6:00pm ET)” just to help my exhausted reading brain to cope. That and/or a ET clock widget in the right side navigation bar.

Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon?
    Thank you very much for all the organizing cheering, and fun!

14. dodibus says:

1. I read one manga, finished one book and a half.
    2. I read 14 hours.
    3. People having fin
    4. I have to organize for me a more severe schedule.
    5. I hope!

15. 1.32 books (including graphic novels and manga)
    2.25
    3.People were active and supportive on social media, made it feel like you were reading with friends 🙂
    4.Not sure. I personally didn’t have any problems.
    5.Absolutely! I only wish it was sooner, haha!

16. How many books did you read? Pages?
    1 book (Women Who Run With the Wolves), 136 pages

How many hours did you read?
    5h19mins

What do you think worked well in this readathon?
    For me, personally, I didn’t accidentally reset my timer this time! Haha

What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
    I think it’s pretty great, already!

Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon?

17. Jess says:

1. I listened to one complete audiobook, finished two book series I had been reading, and progressed further in third book.

2. 24 hours and 7 minutes

3. Personally, including an audiobook helped give my eyes a rest and allowed me to get up and move around

4. Can’t think of anything at the moment!

5. Definitely!

18. CameG says:

1 – I read 6 books and a comic, but I don’t know the pages
    2 – About ten?
    3 – social interaction for sure
    4 – I have to be more careful about time and dates XD
    5 – I’ll surely try!

19. Athina says:

Hello!!
    1. I managed to read almost 5 books in this readathon but I didn’t count the pages.
    2. I read for a full 24 hours!!!
    3. In this readathon I really like the 3-hour updates because they kept me motivated
    4. Right now I can’t think of anything that should be improved for next time
    5. Of course!!

20. I read through 7 books and finished 3. I don’t keep track of pages.

I read over 8 hours, which is less than I read last time. Have to work on my readathon strategy. 🙂

I liked the regular challenges and also seeing others’ bookstacks.

Well for me I missed out on the last few challenges because I live in Finland and had finished hours earlier. Maybe one pre and one post challenge?

I’m definitely participating in the next 24 in 48. It was my first readathon I ever joined and I plan to continue it.

Thanks!

21. msjennamorrison says:

1. How many books did you read?
    I read 5 books 1/2 books
    2. How many hours did you read?
    I stopped my stopwatch at 24 hours, but I think it ended up being more like 28!

3. What do you think worked well in this readathon?
    The challenges were awesome. It was good to be able to take a little break and answer questions
    before getting back to the reading.

4. What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
    The only thing I would change is to do it more often, even if there are no prizes involved. Just
    reading for the fun of reading (but having an actual challenge to do so) is awesome.

5. Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon?
    Without a doubt!

22. msjennamorrison says:

Also….my 70 year old mother read along with us. She didn’t participate in the challenges, but she logged a little over 16 hours. Not bad, Mom!

23. Soubhi Kiewiet says:

Hey! Great readathon guys! Thanks for all you do! How exciting to have that many readers!

1- How many books did you read? Pages? (If you didn’t keep track, tell me that too!)
    I finished 4 books and came close to the end in 3 others! Approximately 1600 pages of print, and another 5 hours of audiobook!
    2- How many hours did you read?
    I read for the full 24 hours.
    3- What do you think worked well in this readathon? I liked the challenges, and accessing them from the emails was really easy! I also liked the spacing of them and knowing when to look for them.
    4- What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
    I have no complaints, I thought it was perfect!
    5- Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon? I absolutely will participate again! This was my third, and my second completed 24in48. Thanks again!

24. Lynn says:

– Read 8 books (2083 pages)
    – Read for 24 1/2 hours
    – Loved the 3-hour challenges
    – Nothing 🙂
    – Would definitely participate again!
    Thank You!!!

25. Margriet says:

How many hours did you read?
    What do you think worked well in this readathon?
    What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
    Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon?

1. I read only one book “World Without End” by Ken Follett and it was 1102 pages long
    2. I read 24 hours with only 40 pages to go at the end, so it might have been 24 hours and 45 minutes
    3. Everything! I like the updates on this blog and I liked the active community on Litsy.
    4. I think it was great, maybe I will think of improvements next time, since this was my first readathon that I actually could follow completely.
    5. YES! Not sure if I can make the full 24 hours then, but it’s a wonderful excuse to let everybody know that you’re allowed to read the entire weekend 😀

Thank you so much for organising!!

26. Sarah Y says:

How many books did you read? 5.5 books
    Pages? 1008 and 5 hours of audio
    How many hours did you read? 20.5
    What do you think worked well in this readathon? I really liked the checkins and prizes every 3 hours
    What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time? Maybe somehow spread out the prizes so they’re not mostly gone after the 24th hour.
    Will you participate in a future 24in48? Definitely!

27. Lauren says:

I finished two books and began 2 more

I read for 12 hours (this became my goal on Sunday when I realized I wouldn’t reach 24 when it became apparent how the day was going)

I loved the tips, 3 hour check in challenges, and how supportive the participants are!

Wouldn’t change anything about the format, but personally I would add an audio book or two to my collection

Yup! See you in January!

28. Alex Reborn says:

1. I managed to read 5 books and the total page count was 913
    2. 24:19 and I used an app called “Save my time” for Android
    3. More and more people joining in; good idea for new posts every 3 hours, so readers can focus more on the reading
    4. Pay more attention to the international readers if possible, including with the challenges (for example, not everyone has paperbacks in English for the verse challenge or mention that foreign languages work if translated in a comment), or adapt them so that anyone can participate
    5. Yes, I surely will!

29. Margaret Dodge says:

1. How many books did you read? Pages? (If you didn’t keep track, tell me that too!) I read four books plus almost all of an audiobook (guess I’ll finish that this morning lol) – so 1,366 pages plus about 10 hours of audiobook.
    How many hours did you read? Just over 24.
    What do you think worked well in this readathon? The check-ins and challenges made for good breaks and helped with motivation 🙂
    What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time? Not necessarily to do with the challenge, but I tried to mostly access this website on my phone and I will say some parts of the posts go a little wonky on mobile, but that’s a very small issue. Everything was great!
    Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon? Yes!

30. 1. I ended up reading two books and listening to one audiobook. I didn’t keep track of pages.
    2. I read just under 20 hours.
    3. I love the three hour check ins. It’s the perfect timing for a social media break without me getting distracted by constantly checking in. The challenges were a lot of fun too!
    4. I would love to see a challenge at each check in.
    5. Absolutely! Although next time I may rent a cabin in the woods so I have fewer distractions. 😆

31. 1&2. I read 1 graphic novel, 2 short kids novels, a bunch of easy readers, and 2 longer picture books from my shelves that I had not read before (a treat with a toddler who loves the same books over and over!) I didn’t keep track of time or pages this readathon. With a toddler, I knew for certain I wasn’t making it anywhere near 24 hours so I’d rather spend the time I did have to just read and participate in a few challenges rather than tally pages or worry about stopping and starting a timer when I get interrupted.

3&4. I think this is a really well run readathon and I honestly can’t think of anything to improve! I really loved that I could participate just on Litsy this time.

5. YES! And I wouldn’t mind at all if it happened more than twice a year — no pressure though 🙂 🙂

32. sydneysbookshelf says:

1. I finished 4 books and am about 100 pages from finishing the 5th!
    2. 24 hours!! I barely made it so I did exactly 24 (I had my husband watch the timer to stop me when I hit it lol)
    3. I enjoyed the challenges!
    4. I think it’d be cool to have a book challenge or two! A challenge like read a book with ‘weekend’ in the title or a clock on the cover. Something like that that’s #24in48 themed 🙂
    5. HECK YES!

33. Leah Weyand says:

1. I read 3 books – What We Lose by Zinzi Clemons, One Day We’ll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter by Scaachi Koul, Mastiff by Tamora Pierce, & I started This Is Just My Face by Gabourey Sidibe. I don’t keep track of pages though.

2. I read a little over 9 hours, which is less than last time (12 hours last time) but I really let things get in the way this time around. Looking forward to January!

3. I think the challenges, check-ins, and prizes worked well – really great prizes and fun opportunities to share pics on social media. Also, all posts were strongly upbeat and positive, which was really encouraging!

4. For future readathons, maybe having like a couple “featured readers” to lead the charge, or be like the ambassadors of the readathon, might be interesting.

5. I will definitely participate in as many future readathons as I am able! I have a lot of fun with these, particularly with seeing everyone’s progress and current reads in the comments on this site and on social media. Thank you guys for being so awesome and putting all this work into making such a fun experience for readers!

34. How many books did you read? Pages? (If you didn’t keep track, tell me that too!)
    9 full books, plus half of an audiobook and half of a traditional book. I didn’t keep track of pages. (But it’s definitely over 2000.)

How many hours did you read?
    24! 19 of traditional books/ebooks, plus 5 hours of the audiobook.

What do you think worked well in this readathon?
    Everything went pretty well for me.

What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
    Maybe more sprints or interactive Twitter chats (not too much though, as it’s distracting from reading!)

Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon?

35. I read 2.9 books in total, 873 pages. I was jumping between 6 different books 😊
    I read 25 hours 29 minutes and 29 seconds.
    Lots of things worked well in 24 in 48. I especially liked that you picked random prize winners and loved the challenges!
    I have no improvement suggestions, but I hope that the readathon will keep growing and gaining popularity!
    I will definitely participate in the next readathon if it happens to be on a good weekend university wise 😊 See you in January!

36. I ended up reading for 24 hours and 11 minutes. I read 3 books and one graphic novel. I ended up getting 120 pages in to my next book too. I had a lot of fun and will definitely participate again. What I would do different is read more in the first 24 hours. I really struggled towards the end and didn’t finish until 11pm. Thanks for everything! I really enjoyed it.
    Here is a link to my post with my proof of time.
    Yeah_I_Read’s post on Litsy

37. Charlene Maloney says:

1.How many books did you read? – I read three books, a total of 817 pages.
    2.How many hours did you read? – I read for 11 hours and 17 minutes.
    3.What do you think worked well in this readathon? – I like the posts that let people have some fun with the readathon, such as the shelfie. It helps keep everyone involved.
    4.What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time? – No suggestions
    5.Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon? – Yes! I’m hoping that the next one I’ll be able to get closer to the 24 hours completed, as the weather will be bad and I doubt I’ll be leaving the house like I did this weekend.

38. 1. How many books did you read? Pages? (If you didn’t keep track, tell me that too!)
    I’ve read 2 books, 18% of an e-book and about 120 pages of a third physical book. Don’t know the exact number of pages but it must have been between 500-600 pages.

2. How many hours did you read?
    12 hours! I knew I could do it!

3. What do you think worked well in this readathon?
    I enjoyed the updates around here, they were a great way to keep me motivated!

4. What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
    I don’t have any suggestions, I quite enjoyed it!

5. Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon?
    Sure! I really enjoy this readathon, it has made me read more than I’m used to lately and be able to start and finish a book in a entire day!

39. I read This Savage Song and Carry on and I read for 24 hours 😊😊😊 I also read 200 pages of The Dream Thieves and 107 pages of The Book Thief.

I think the readathon was done perfectly it was really fun. Maybe a bit stressful but i probably just took it too seriously.

Ill definately do it next time.

❤Alicia

40. 1. I read 5 books; 2 comics, 2 books, and finished up an audiobook I was listening to. I think I read somewhere around 1160 pages. I did keep as good of track of that.
    2. I read 24 hours! Once I hit 24, I went to bed because reading for two days straight is fun, but also exhausting.
    3. I loved that it was just about reading. There were challenges, but not so many that they were super distracting. There weren’t chats, but we had the hashtags to chat with others during breaks. It just felt low key and I liked that.
    4. I think it’s great, as is.
    5. Absolutely. I might not aggressively shoot for the 24-hour mark in the future, but I know I can easily make it there if I want.

41. karen Gill says:

1.How many books did you read? 4 Pages? Didn’t count
    2..How many hours did you read? 19 hours
    3.What do you think worked well in this readathon? As always, I think it’s fabulous the way it is.
    4.What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time? I can’t think of a thing.
    5.Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon. Yes

42. Cynthia Desgagné says:

I read half of The Blind Assassin (approx. 90K words) and all of Anne of Avonlea (approx. 89K words) plus a little bit of Sleeping Giants (let’s round it to 1K just to be cute): 180K words!
    (Tracking page count doesn’t work well with ebooks, so I track word count instead)

How many hours did you read?
    17h00, in two 8h30 days. I didn’t plan it that way, it just happened.

What do you think worked well in this readathon?
    I like that there were updates on this site every 3 hours (I was taking a break every time (unless I was sleeping) to read the post, which was good for my eyes)

What do you think could be done to improve the readathon for next time?
    More international prizes would be nice! They ran out so quickly 😦 A coupon code for BookDepository, maybe?

Will you participate in a future 24in48 readathon?
    Probably. I will try to find friends to do it with me next time.