Hour Zero: Welcome to the #24in48 Readathon – January 2017 Edition

It’s here! It’s time!

Welcome to the January 2017 edition of #24in48! Right now, it’s midnight ET on the official readathon clock, but we’re kicking things off with a bang. If you’re just now discovering the ‘thon or have been unsure of your weekend plans, you can still sign up and do so throughout the weekend.

A few notes as we get started:

1. If you’re planning on reading a full 24 hours (or even just trying to get close), make sure you track your time. You can do this a number of ways but the preferred method is with a stopwatch on your phone or computer or the new Bookout app for iOS devices (per a helpful readathoner). If you finish 24 hours of reading, you’ll be eligible to win one of three prize packs, including one just for non-US participants.
  2. There is ZERO pressure to read for a full 24 hours. Seriously, guys. This is the fifth year I’ve been doing this thing, and I say every time, this is supposed to be fun and low pressure. The goal is to set aside some serious time to read with other like-minded readers.
  3. Take a break, get some sleep, eat well. This is a marathon, not a sprint.
  4. Make sure that your sign-up entry is correct (including email and social media/blog URL). If you’re not active on that social platform during the ‘thon, you won’t be able to win any of the amazing prizes we’re giving away. By URL I mean, don’t just type “Twitter” or “Facebook.” I need to be able to find you, so list your username or the URL of your feed (i.e. http://twitter.com/24in48readathon). If you need to update your entry, you can do so by going through the link you received in your confirmation email. If you didn’t get an email and need to update your entry, email me ASAP at 24in48readathonofficial@gmail.com.
  5. If your name is announced as either a door prize winner or a challenge winner, go over to the Prize page and fill out the form. If you don’t check in there, you’ll miss your shot to win.
  6. Follow the conversation (which honestly is my favorite part of the ‘thon) on social media. I’ll be posting from @24in48readathon on Twitter, on the official Facebook page, and @24in48 on Instagram and Litsy. You can – and should – use the official hashtag #24in48 everywhere as well.

I’ll be posting here every three hours with challenges and door prize giveaways, so check in early and often.

Let’s start off with an intro survey so we can all get to know each other. Post your answers (or a link to your answers) in a comment below:

1. Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
  2. Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?
  3. Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
  4. What book are you most excited about reading this weekend?
  5. Tell us something about yourself.
  6. Remind us where to find you online this weekend.

Three people who complete the survey will win their choice of prize. You have until the midway point, Hour 24 at midnight ET tonight, to enter.

Happy reading, ‘thoners!

238 thoughts on “Hour Zero: Welcome to the #24in48 Readathon – January 2017 Edition

1. 1. Norwich, UK!
    2. Nope, first year. I’m really excited.
    3. Twitter!
    4. THE GARDEN PARTY AND OTHER STORIES by Katherine Mansfield.
    5. I’m a blogger and a university student!
    6. Tiwtter: MB1098 Litsy and Instagram: sprinkledwithwords 🙂

2. Margie says:

Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    San Antonio, TX
    Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?
    Yes, this is my second readathon.
    Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
    It’s not, but I’m sure it was Liberty Hardy.
    The March Trilogy
    Tell us something about yourself.
    I’m the youngest of three. My sister is 10 years older and my brother is 15 years older.
    Litsy! @bookzombie

3. igotthebooks says:

Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    Richmond, TX

Yes I have.

Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
    I follow you on social media so I can block out the weekend for these readathons.

The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

Tell us something about yourself.
    I run two Little Free Libraries in my community.

Igotthebooks.com
    Twitter @igotthebookscom
    Litsy @Sara_Planz
    Goodreads Sara Planz

4. Kelly Krotz says:

Where in the world are you reading from this weekend? I’m here in the middle of the US – Newton, KS
    Have you done the 24in48 readathon before? I finished about 8 hours of one last summer.
    Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
    What book are you most excited about reading this weekend? Hidden Figures
    Tell us something about yourself. I’ll be 55 this summer, have always loved reading, live with the Chemistry Teacher and our two cats – JJ and Amos, and wish I had become a librarian instead of a banker.
    Remind us where to find you online this weekend. I’ll be checking in on Litsy – you can find me at @KellyK

Liked by 1 person

5. Hi. I’m Chantel DaCosta from Jamaica. This is my second time attempting #24in48. And I’m winging it. I did not set a specific tbr. And I just finished three hours and I read Black Beauty by Constance Burris which is book #0.5 in the Everleaf series. I enjoyed th book. But I should not read series in a readathon because I want to move to the next book in the series and I do not have copies of the other books. I heard about #24in48 on Instagram. I posted my updates on IG as chanteldacosta and on Twitter as @lucifree. I missed the first nine hours because if sleep so I doubt I’ll make it to 24 hours but 12 hours would be fantastic.

Liked by 1 person

6. Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    Syracuse, NY
    Nope
    Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
    One of my twitter friends mentioned it
    What book are you most excited about reading this weekend?
    Jane Linfoot’s The Vintage Cinema Club. It wasn’t part of my original plan, but I don’t care 🙂
    Tell us something about yourself.
    I’m the mom to a 5th grade bookworm who spends some his school lunchtime reading to kindergartners 4 times a week.
    Remind us where to find you online this weekend.
    instagram.com/wellreadpirate and twitter.com/wellreadpirate … will blog a recap after at wellreadpiratequeen.blogspot.com

7. 1. Reading from Los Angeles, CA

2. This is my first 24 in 48 Readathon

3. I think I heard about this on the Book Riot or All the Books podcast.

4. I’m most excited about finishing Ready Player One (which I did in the first 2 hours of the readathon) and getting to some of my BOTM choices I haven’t read yet. Also The Circle by Dave Eggers.

5. I’m trying to get more reading done and taking advantage of being between jobs to do so. Also doing the Read Harder 2017 challenge and the Popsugar 2017 reading challenge. I’m trying to be more conscious about reading more diversely and outside the genre I usually choose. And when I’m not reading I’m watching movies or TV shows (I work in the industry)

6. I’ll be posting on Twitter and Listy under @astridstars

8. danielle cicchetti says:

I am reading in San Diego, CA.
    This is my first time doing 24in48.
    I heard about the readathon either on a blog or instagram.
    I think I am most excited about Crooked Kingdom. I LOVED Six of Crows.
    I am actually leading a book club today (Saturday), where we read only women authors. Today’s book is Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, which was my first Rainbow Rowell book.
    I am going to be on Instagram – @perseph0neinnana.

Liked by 1 person

9. Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    Northern Ireland, UK!

Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?
    I did it in July 2016 but only managed 12 hours!

Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
    Heard about it on Instagram.

What book are you most excited about reading this weekend?
    All of them! I’m just excited to make a dent in my TBR!

Tell us something about yourself.
    I’m a psychology graduate currently working as a classroom assistant in my local primary school. I love to read and play the piano to wind down 🙂

Remind us where to find you online this weekend.
    I am also on Goodreads under that same handle.

10. Kristy says:

Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    – Indiana

Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?
    – Yup! This is my second one! I didn’t finish the full 24 hours last time, but I think I will this time around!

Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
    -Don’t remember

What book are you most excited about reading this weekend?
    – The Hating Game, Nine Horses (poetry), We Should All Be Feminist, Black Panther

– The only thing I love as much as reading is the TV show, Friends. 🙂

Litsy: @Kristy_K
    Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/Kristy_K

Liked by 1 person

11. Hi, all! This isn’t my first #24in48 rodeo, so when the reminder popped up I knew I wanted to do it again! I’m reading just outside of Denver, CO and posting updates at Litsy (as BeckyLeJ) and Twitter as @BeckyLeJeune. Not sure what I’m most tikes to read, as I’m kind of choosing book by book as I finish. And something about myself, hmmm since I’m an agent building a client list, my biggest challenge with readathon is not caving to overwhelming guilt that I should be WORKING! I may slip a manuscript in… that counts as reading 🙂

Liked by 1 person

12. Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?

New Hampshire USA

Yup! This is my second

What book are you most excited about reading this weekend?

All of them – Always wanted to read the Redwall series!

Tell us something about yourself.

Determined to get in 24 hours this time… only managed 15 last time.

Remind us where to find you online this weekend.

Litsy, FB and Twitter – if I have time!

13. Kayla Jackson says:

1. I’m tuning in from Clarksville, Arkansas
    2. This is my 2nd 24in48
    3. I’m excited to get to Lucky You by Erika Carter, a Book of the Month selection that takes place not too far from where I currently live
    4. I recently got my first bookish tattoo! A small stack of colorful books on the inside of my forearm
    5. Find me on Litsy and Instagram @kaylaraeintheway

14. Lis Marie says:

1. Ontario, Canada
    2. 24in48 first-timer
    3. Litsy
    4. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
    5. I’ve won a Chairman’s Award for my writing from the Canadian branch of a global PR/Comms agency
    6. You can find me at @Lis on Litsy!

15. Erika Loiacono says:

1. New Jersey
    2. This is my second readathon
    3. I heard about it on Litsy
    4. I’m most excited about finishing Idaho. It’s amazing!
    5. I’m a teacher.
    6. You can find me on Litsy @irre

16. Jessica L Plumley says:

I’m Jessica from (close to) Philadelphia, PA! The one time I attempted to participate in a readathon, life got in the way, but I actually have a full weekend to devote to my favorite thing! I first heard about this readathon from Liberty Hardy, and then started following 24in48 on social media. I picked out a really good stack for the weekend that includes graphic novels and shorter novels, but I’m most looking forward to The Kingdom by Fuminori Nakamura – which I’m using for one of the #LitsyReadingChallenge boxes – #LRC15 #translated from another language! I love Litsy so much and I started the first Litsy Reading Challenge, and it has seriously taken off! If you search #LitsyReadingChallenge on Litsy you can see the bingo board (or grab your own: http://mfbc.us/m/ecqnd ) . You can follow my readathon posts on Litsy, of course! I’m @jessica. Good luck to everyone & happy reading!

Liked by 1 person

17. Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?

Ohio! Specifically the part of the state where no women’s marches are being held close to me, which gives me a sad.

Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?

I have! I did the last one, and it was so much fun.

Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?

Welp, see above.

What book are you most excited about reading this weekend? Oh, gosh. Since I started it last night so I could play games on my phone while listening, and it was so good, Trevor Noah’s “Born a Crime”.

Tell us something about yourself.

I am 36, a substitute teacher, addicted to Regency Romance, and I love cats, tea, & books. So, typical introvert/cat lady?

Remind us where to find you online this weekend.

I can be found mainly via Twitter at @foundinwords!

18. Melissa Woodward says:

1. I am from Kirkland Lake, Ontario Canada
    2. This is my first readathon
    3. I found out about 24in48 in an Owlcrate Facebook group
    4. I am hoping to get through a good chunk, if not finish Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. I fell in love with his First Law trilogy last year and am super excited to be back in that world.
    5. I am a Hockey Mom, Pearl Jam Lover, Photographer, Artist, and Avid Reader.
    6. You can find me here: http://www.instagram.com/lemwood

19. Brandy says:

San Jose, CA, USA
    Tried to participate last year.
    Milk and Honey, Squirrel Girl
    I split my time between family, pets, crafting, and reading.
    @handmade_readhead on litsy

20. Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?: Chicago, Illinois

Have you done the 24in48 readathon before? Yes!

What book are you most excited about reading this weekend? No one particular book; I’m just looking forward to spending the weekend with a focus on reading. In honor of today’s marches and I am looking forward to reading Men Explain Things To Me.

Tell us something about yourself. I am a mom of two teenage daughters, a lawyer and a rabid reader!

Remind us where to find you online this weekend. Lola@Litsy

21. Where in the world are you reading from this weekend? South Bend, Indiana
    Have you done the 24in48 readathon before? No.
    Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first? Found it on Twitter when I was searching for readathons.
    What book are you most excited about reading this weekend? The novel Loner, by Teddy Wayne
    Tell us something about yourself. I’m a poet and a college teacher, and I read 91 books last year.
    Remind us where to find you online this weekend. https://twitter.com/MarciRaeJohnson

22. Supersillysara says:

Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    New Hampshire
    Yes, in July.
    Written in my own Heart’s Blood Diana Gabaldon
    Tell us something about yourself.
    I love to read at the bar. I’ll be doing that later!

Liked by 1 person

23. A little late to the party on this one… I was so focused on reading and a bit of Litsy last night that I didn’t make my way over here! Here are my answers:
    1. Where in the world are you reading from this weekend? Southern California (LA area)
    2. Have you done the 24in48 readathon before? This is my first!
    3. Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first? Litsy
    4. What book are you most excited about reading this weekend? I’m excited about (hopefully) finishing Megan Whalen Turner’s Thief of Eddis series (two more books to go!)
    5. Tell us something about yourself. Whatever bookmark I use has to match the book I’m reading, and my tea mug has to match my mood or activity… today it’s a Tattered Cover Bookstore mug!
    6. Remind us where to find you online this weekend. On Litsy: @BarbaraJean

24. 1. Kingsport, TN
    2. This is my 1st Readathon
    3. Litsy
    4. The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware (finished it as my 1st book & it didn’t disappoint!!)
    5. I’m the Director of a Library System and I might have let my husband think this was ‘work related’ (it sort of, kind of, if you stretch the definition of ‘work related’ is)
    6. https://twitter.com/Marbooks
    HTTPS:// Instagram.com/cemarkley
    Litsy: @ChrisM

25. Jenni King says:

1. Chattanooga, TN
    2. Yep!
    3. Not my first, but I heard about it originally through Booktube.
    4. Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
    5. I have a 2 year old Booktube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/pixieinpumps). I’m a women’s college graduated. And a redhead!
    6. I posted my TBR here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dAwLZTJ0Ug
    I’ll be updating on twitter (https://twitter.com/lolainred) and instagram (https://www.instagram.com/lolainred/).

26. Sarah Holmes says:

I am reading from North Carolina. This is my first readathon and I heard about it from one of my best friends. I am a psych undergrad who reads all the time. I am most excited to read Dear Mr. Knightly by Katherine Reay and hopefully accomplish my dream of starting and finishing an excellent series in one weekend rather than having to stop due to other activities. I am addicted to knitting and to reading knitting/crafting mysteries. You can find me on Litsy @saholmes.

27. Maggy says:

Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    I’m reading from Austria.

Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?
    Yes, this is my second 24in48 readathon.

What book are you most excited about reading this weekend?
    I’m really looking forward to reading “History Is All You Left Me” by Adam Silvera!!

Tell us something about yourself.
    I’m really like listeing to music while I’m reading, so I have a playlist or at least one song for every book I read.

You can find me on Twitter: @maggy_me_snow

28. Suzze Myers Tiernan says:

Hi all! I’m reading at home in Michigan. This is my third 24in48. I’m a retired bookseller. Besides reading, I do scrap booking and road rallies. I’m on Litsy as @suzze

29. dictura says:

I’m reading from home in Canada! This is my first time entering the Readathon, and I found out about it by searching readathons because I wanted to get involved in one. 🙂 I’m currently reading Scythe, which I was really excited to read and I’m really enjoying! I’m an editor, so I can’t help but notice pesky typos as I go. And I’m on Instagram as @dictura; I’ll also be posting end-of-day wrap-ups at dictura.com. 🙂

30. Weaponxgirl says:

Where Norwich, U.K.
    No I’ve never done one before
    I heard about it on litsy
    I’m excited to try and finish or at least make more headway through difficult women
    At the moment I’m really addicted to trifle
    I can be found on litsy @weaponxgirl

31. I’m reading beside my dog, Callie, on the couch under a cozy duvet. ☺️ This is my first go at 24in48, and I’m excited about it! I’m currently in the middle of two books, one ebook and one audio. You can find me on Instagram or Litsy: @missarixreads
    Happy reading! 📖

32. Catherine Phan says:

Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    Toronto.

Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?

Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
    Instagram. Yes.

Outline by Rachel Cusk

I am ambidexterous.

instagram – wallacereads

33. Amy Harris says:

Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    Casper Wyoming

Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?
    Nope this is my first time. I’m very excited.

Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
    Someone I follow on litsy posted about it so I googled to find out more.

What book are you most excited about reading this weekend?
    I’ve been wanting to start the discworld series but being a bookseller I mostly read books I need to sell. But I’ve added it to my list for today.

Tell us something about yourself.
    I’m the manager at a bookstore here and try to find every excuse I can to have a readathon

Instagram.com/amyalidakristina and litsy @amyalidakristina

34. Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    I’m reading from Brussels, Belgium

Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?
    No, this is my first time, but I’ve wanted to participate many times 🙂

Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first?
    I don’t really remember, but I think it was through Dewey’s which I’ve done about 10 times.

ALL THE BOOKS!

Tell us something about yourself.
    I am originally from Denmark, but have lived in about 8 countries the last 15 years. And I am joined in my readathon efforts by my pet dragon, Rognar the Destroyer 🙂

Remind us where to find you online this weekend.
    I will be posting on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/twentyyearsfromnow/

35. I ‘m reading from Virginia just outside DC.

This is my first time.

I’m looking forward to finishing Where They Stand -a book about the presidency that I’ve been trying to finish forever. I’m also hoping to get in some hard core reading out loud with the kiddos.

I just finished a really hard week and this couldn’t have come at a better time.

I’m on Litsy @bookwormjillk

36. unidragonfrag says:

1. Portland, OR
    2. Nope!
    3. Litsy
    4. Frogkisser by Garth Nix
    5. Mom, reader, writer that works for a book seller!
    6. You can find me pretty exclusively on Litsy @unidragonfrag

37. Dani Moth says:

1) I’m reading from moderately chilly and rather foggy and drab Southern Iowa this weekend.
    2) This is my third readathon!
    3) I first heard about it through a friend on Twitter and I’m forever grateful.
    4) I have no idea what I’m reading this weekend! That’s very exciting itself. I’m just grabbing whatever looks good this time around. No set TBR. Just wandering between bookshelves.
    5) I really like biographies about weird historical figures and fairytale authors.
    6) I’m on Twitter @mothwinged.

38. midnighthelpmeet says:

1. I’m currently in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.
    2. This is my first 24in48.
    3.I heard about the readathon on youtube.
    4. I just finished The first Miss Peregrine’s book and I’m not 100% sure what I’ll read next.
    5. I have 3 kids that will be joining me reading tomorrow. We are having a mini read-a-thon for them.
    ^. I’m on twitter @midnighthm

39. Where in the world are you reading from this weekend?
    I’m in Brooklyn Baby!

Have you done the 24in48 readathon before?
    I have! I did it last fall and I hit 10 hours. Trying for 12+ this time.

What book are you most excited about reading this weekend?
    I’m most excited for the book I am reading right now – Whatever Happened to Interracial Love

Tell us something about yourself.
    I wish I didn’t have to work on Monday so I could commit 10000% to 24 hours!

on Tumblr: https://ultrabookgeek.tumblr.com/
    on Litsy: ultrabookgeek
    on Instagram: ultrabookgeek
    on LibraryThing: ulrabookgeek
    on Twitter: qimster

40. Elke says:

1. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area
    2. This is my second 24in48 readathon but will be an event I now plan for!
    Weekend, booked.
    3. I heard about it and folliw it all on Litsy.
    4. I am most excited to read A Gathering of Shadows by VE Schwab – in prep for book 3 coming out in exactly a month!
    5. My life revolves around books (work + play). And Cat.
    6. Find me on Litsy @elkeo

41. MrBook says:

Where in the world are you reading from this weekend? The Pocono Mountains, PA
    Have you done the 24in48 readathon before? Nope.
    Where did you hear about the readathon, if it is your first? Litsy, like everything.
    What book are you most excited about reading this weekend? Not sure. All of them!
    Tell us something about yourself. Looking forward to pushing myself to the 24-hour mark. Always enjoy a good challenge.
    Remind us where to find you online this weekend. I’m using Litsy: @MrBook; Goodreads: /jasonvigorito; and occasionally Twitter: @JasonVigorito